In the City of Literature, we are fortunate to be surrounded by so many world-class independent bookstores. This year we invited our local booksellers to share their top picks for holiday gifts.
224 1st St SW, Mount Vernon
- John Green boxed set
- Signing for Dummies by Adan R. Penilla II PhD & Angela Lee Taylor
- Kid Pickers: How To Turn Junk Into Treasure by Mike Wolfe with Lily Sprengelmeyer
- Plant This Instead by Troy B. Marden
- Poems That Make Grown Men Cry – edited by Anthony and Ben Holden
- Lila by Marilynne Robinson
Give used books a new life by shopping at The Book End this holiday season. Find out-of-print treasures, gently used adult and children’s books, audiobooks, movies, music, artwork and more. When you buy a holiday gift at The Book End, it keeps on giving – all proceeds benefit the popular Children’s and Teens Summer Reading Programs at the Iowa City Public Library.
608 S. Dubuque St.
- Whatever interests you’d like to encourage, there’s a book for that!
- It is a kindness to share the secret that reading is a great source of enjoyment.
1650 Sycamore St.
- Stocking Stuffers – Mini camping and backpacking books
- Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State Of Iowa by A. T. Andreas (1875)
- XXXX. Korte en Stichtelijcke Predicatien by Joost Hendricksz (1666)
- Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Three Poems by Paul Engle
219 N Gilbert St.
- Wish Certificates
- Toys for Early Readers – Visual pattern recognition games and Reading Buddies
- Three Wishes Recommendation Service™ – Tell us three things about the person on your gift list and we’ll find the perfect gift.
8 S Clinton St.
- Brief Encounters by Dick Cavett
- Perfidia by James Ellroy
- Family Furnishings: Selected Stories by Alice Munro
- The Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides
- Fields of Blood by Karen Armstrong
- The Roosevelts by Geoffrey Ward and Ken Burns
- Big Ideas Simply Explained from DK Publishing
- Pocket Classics from Everyman’s Library
1105 3rd St SE, Cedar Rapids
- Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
- The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson
- World of Ice & Fire by George RR Martin
- Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg
- Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page
- Ararat by Louise Glück
- The Witch: And Other Tales Re-Told by Jean Thompson
- Laidlaw by William McIlvanney
- The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
- The Laughing Monsters by Denis Johnson
- Family Feeling by Jean Ross Justice
- Atlas of the Indian Nations by Anton Treuer
201 S Clinton St.
- What if?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
- Heap House: The Iremonger Trilogy: Book One by Edward Carey
730 S Dubuque St.
- The Unlikely Celebrity by Thomas Walz
- Let Freedom Ring: Dorothea Dix, Social Reformer by Barbara Witteman
- Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean Dominique Bauby
- The Soloist by Steve Lopez
- The People On the Corner by Leslye Orr